Do’s and Dont’s of porous hair. The following are shortened version from several blogs, or articles. Links of sources are posted below.
- Heat up your conditioner. Heat = just warm enough, not too hot! Since hair shaft of LP are close, we need heat to assist us in opening the hair cuticles.
- Steam your Hair. Without steam, your product will probably just lay on top of each other.
- Clarify you Hair! To remove product build up, to help your hair to absorb more products without ‘barrier’.
- Last Rinse = Warm Water. This will allow the cuticles to open so your hair can better absorb the product (certain products only) you put on it.
- Blow Dry with Cool Air. As research suggest, cold temperature ‘closes the cuticles’, therefore, ‘locking in’ the moisture.
- Certain Proteins. LP are protein sensitive (meaning it already has enough protein). However, LP Hair likes these three proteins Hydrolyzed, Wheat and Silk, which is seen in the product ingredients.
- Moisturize and Seal When Hair is Damp. Dry hair=closed cuticle. Do your moisturizing routine while hair is still damp, not dripping wet though.
- Spray Hair with Warm/Hot water. To open the cuticles.
- Water-based/liquid moisturizers.
- Use lighter oils. like Grapeseed oil, Argan oil, Jojoba oil, and Sweet Almond oil.
- Thick Deep Conditioners. It will sit on hair. NO Thick Crèmes/Butters.
- Protein. Excess protein = breakage.
- Blow Drying with Heat. When you blow dry, you open up the cuticles again and release the moisture you sealed in!!
- Last Rinse with Cool/Cold Water. This will close the cuticles! Therefore, your hair will not be able to absorb any moisturizer/oil/crèmes!!
- Be Careful with Alkaline and Acids. It does not work for everyone! And this might cause more permanent damage on hair, if not used properly.
- Avoid humectants. like glycerin (especially during winter). This will draw moisture out of the hair but use them in the Summer to bring moisture to your hair.
- Avoid heavy styling products.
Best Oils for Low Porous Hair, the following are shortened version from trialsntresses.com (Oils for LP)
- Grapeseed Oil: Great as strengthener and heat protectant (when used with another heat protectant as well).
- Jojoba Oil: Most closely matches the natural oils in our scalp. The fatty acids helps to seal their ends or oil their scalps. Works for women battling with dandruff or dry scalp as well.
- Argan Oil: Helps in the shine of hair.
- Almond Oil: Peppermint and Almond oil works good together.
The following information were lifted from,